Raffle Draws Light to Challenges Faced by Those Waiting for an Affordable Home
Lack of affordable housing is a region-wide issue. Those who visit food banks report that their greatest barrier to afford food is directly correlated to their earnings spent on housing.
Paying 30% of pre-tax income on basic housing costs (rent, mortgage, and utilities) puts a household in affordable housing need. Spending 50% puts a household in severe housing need.
For an average low income household this leaves approximately $100 a month or $3 a day to cover food, clothing and other expenses. This is typical of a Niagara household in crisis.
Look for us at events throughout the summer to purchase your tickets for a chance to win. Anyone with an extra $10 in their pocket can secure a ticket in our Every Day Essentials Raffle. You will be in the running to win $1000 in President's Choice grocery cards and $600 in gas cards. By doing so, you will also be helping to combat poverty and homelessness in our communities.
We are giving a Great Big THANK YOU to FirstOntario Credit Union, Gales Gas Station Niagara Falls, and Zehrs Glendale Avenue for showing corporate collaboration and for setting a wonderful example of giving. We hope to raise $12,000 with the proceeds from raffle tickets sales in support of our programs and services.
How to purchase tickets:
1) With cash or at any of the St.Catharines FirstOntario Credit Union Locations
- 148 Niagara St
- 1200 Fourth Ave
- 4-387 Scott St
- 600 Ontario St
3) At upcoming community event booths
- July 18th at the St.Catharines Farmers Market 8:30 -1:30 pm
- July 20th at the St.Catharines Farmers Market 8:30 -1:30 pm
- July 27th at the Niagara Falls Farmers Market 8 -1 pm
- Aug 3rd inside the Pen Centre 9-4:30 pm
- Aug 4th, 9th and 16th outside the Zehrs, at the Pen Centre 10-2 pm